Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Produce Box

We purchased a Groupon this summer for a box of organic produce. The regular price for this box (which includes delivery) is $32 but we paid half-price for it through Groupon. We decided to use it to help our grocery budget this month.

We were very happy with the contents of the box. Everything looked great! The broccoli and pears caught our eyes first thing!

The box included:
  • 2 heads broccoli
  • 1 bunch celery
  • 1 head lettuce
  • 1 red pepper
  • 2 zucchini
  • 1 bunch green onions
  • 1 onion
  • 5 potatoes
  • 2 apples
  • 2 pears
  • 3 jalapeno peppers

Do I think it's a great deal? Well, it depends. For $16, yes. But at this point, I can't justify $32 for this amount of produce even though this is about what I would pay in the store for organics. If our grocery budget were to increase significantly, I would definitely consider this service.

The other thing is that we plow through a large amount of fruits and veggies each week. This box is for a family of two for a week. We would need 2 of these! :-)

All that to say, we really did like the produce!

What do you think--expensive for organic produce or a good deal?


2 comments:

Rhonda said...

$32 would be way too much. I like the idea of organic but in my town, there are not many places to buy it and it is just too expensive.

Your box looks really nice though, pretty as a picture.

Wendi said...

Nice looking produce, but a little expensive at $32. That would put a major dent in my budget! I don't buy as many organic products as I would like for that reason.