Friday, September 27, 2013

Updates on Homemade Mayo, Laundry Detergent and Mystery Plants

Sometimes I post about things I've made or use. Some of you have questions from time to time about whether or not I still use it or how it works for me.

This post will answer  some of those questions.

Homemade Mayonnaise:

We really like this and I've been whipping up a batch about once a week since. The flavor has not changed after setting for a few days so using half olive oil has worked ok.  Some of you have asked about how long this keeps in the fridge. The recipe says it will keep 2 weeks. We mostly use mayonnaise in things like chicken, egg, and tuna salad which uses a larger amount of mayo at a time. Because of this, we go through a small batch rather quickly so we haven't tested the 2 week thing out yet! I say, try it and see if you like it and whether or not it works for you!

Homemade Laundry Soap:



I really have liked my homemade powdered laundry detergent.  However, I've had a lot of trouble with some "build-up", especially towels and things where I've noticed the lack of absorbency. Stripping the laundry by using hot water, baking soda and vinegar has helped a lot  but while using the homemade soap, it seems that it continues to build up. I'm pretty sure this has to do with our hard water as we didn't notice an issue before moving here. Not sure if making homemade liquid detergent would have the same results. For now, I've switched to whatever liquid detergent is affordable and am happy with the results.

Mystery Plants:

My mystery plants turned out to be cantaloupe! The plants have long since died and we didn't actually get to eat any before they rotted but there were cute little cantaloupes on the vines.Good to know!




2 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

We once had a volunteer cantaloupe. They didn't get big but they were they were really sweet and juicy! My volunteer tomatoes have done better for me this summer than the ones I intentionally planted!

I've never made homemade laundry detergeant. I actually have trouble with the front loader getting build up and have to clean it once a month with hot water and vinegar. That's with commercial HE so I always thought the problem would be worse with homemade?

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

FUNNY!

I was just looking at my Helleman's container this morning - very, very low and a week to go before the "monthly grocery shop". I thought and pulled out the cookbook - the Homemade Pantry and thought here is my chance.. to give it a whirl.

Thanks for the confirmation. :)

Oh - and I'm low and it's on the list to make my homemade laundry detergent. I thought I didn't have any bar soap left but I found a half in the back of the cabinet nad that is what my liguid recipe calls for. So.. once again.
You have confirmed the list & activity for the day. :)