Friday, September 20, 2013

Football Season

I got some kind of stomach virus last weekend that knocked me off my feet for most of 3-4 days. After a week, my digestive system is starting to get back to normal and my appetite may be coming back! I can't remember the last time I've been sick like that and am so glad to be feeling better. Being sick definitely threw my week off course and thus, it's been very quiet here! 
 Go Redskins!

Football season is upon us! We love football at out house. And by we, I really mean my husband.


I have a really hard time following football. I see big guys running with the football and that's about as far as I get.

On the flip side, I really enjoy football snacks. Oh yeah! Dips, little weinies in sauce, cheese and crackers, stuffed jalapenos, meatballs, dips... did I mention dips? I love them all. I don't have any trouble at all following football snacks!

If only "football snacks" was a sport. I'd be a most loyal fan!

Well, this year I decided I would not be left behind during football season. I would try to learn a little more about football so maybe, just maybe, I could have at least an elementary knowledge of the game. I know just enough to enjoy watching baseball, basketball and hockey. Surely I could learn about football too!

I'd seen "women's guides to football" at bookstores in the past so I did an Amazon search. Then took my findings to my library to see what they had. I ended up with a generic Football For Dummies and Get Your Own Damn Beer, I'm Watching The Game: A Woman's Guide To Loving Pro Football.

So I don't condone the language in the title of the latter book but it was the only "women's guide" my library had. Besides, it's proven to be a very good read so far! And quite the conversation starter for anyone who sees the book!

I can't guarantee that I'll turn into a big football fan or that I'll retain a lot about the game. But I'm making an effort... and I'm sure I'll learn something!

Do you enjoy watching football or are you there for the snacks?


Inspiration for wreath from here and here.

1 comment:

Debbie J said...

Mary Ann, I had to laugh when I read this post, because you sound exactly like me. I never cared for football before marrying my hubby, but now I like it. Like you, I need to study up on it though! I kind of know what is going on, but there are so many subtle things that my hubby is an expert on. Terms like "flea flicker", etc. Maybe we need to start a notebook and write down what all these things mean and then we can refer back to it as needed! LOL

My hubby will make me watch the replays like my life depends on it and I have no clue what happened after I see it.

I do love the football snacks too! I love this time of year and football is a big part of that.

Go NC State Wolfpack!