Wednesday, October 02, 2013

How To Clean Recycled Glass Jars

I've been reorganizing my sewing supplies and wanted to display them in glass jars.

Have you seen the price of cute jars in the store? I have and it's out of my price range--especially for a no spend month.

Lucky for me, I've been saving recycled glass jars for this very purpose for a while. With a little cleaning and paint or fabric on the lids, I'll have cute and free storage jars.

The problem with pickle and salsa jars is that they tend to stink, even after washing. I've been washing them with a baking soda and water mixture according to these instructions. Some of them are really persistent with the smell so I poured some vinegar into those jars and let them set overnight. That seemed to do the trick.

For the labels, I've had the best success with pouring hot vinegar and using citrus (lemon) oil to rub the glue off. It takes a bit but most of it comes off pretty easily. I have a couple very sticky labels that will take more effort.

Hopefully soon, I'll be able to show the finished product!

5 comments:

Wendi said...

I really like the shape of the applesauce jar. Looking forward to seeing what you do with these.

Kathryn D. Duke said...

you always share the neatest ideas..thanks...been looking at jars in WalMart so now I will look at home!!

Anonymous said...


I used to ask for the big pickle jars from the University Cafeteria (My husband was on the faculty, etc.,) They were great and a friend reminded me that the "scent" or "pickle odor" is usually concentrated in the lid, etc.,

Maybe you can interchange lids...
I think the smucker jars are great, especially the gingham print... I would just find a creative way to cover the company name on the top! Thank you Mary Ann for all of your practical ideas and encouragement to resist all the consumer hoopla in our society. I really want to simplify this fall and Christmas Season!

Mary Ann said...

Anonymous-

You're right, the odor is very concentrated in the lids! I didn't mention in the post but I soaked the lids in vinegar too!:-)

Kathryn said...

I love jars!! If I am going to buy jam, I get the Bon Maman brand--love those gingham lids. I pack them in lunches with leftovers and it looks so festive. We also use them for drinking glasses and fridge storage. I also buy the salad dressing in the milk bottle style jars at Walmart and we use the empties to fill for for lunchboxes and picnics. Both of these labels come off super easy, and I used clorox cleanup on the lids to remove odor. I recently purchased honey and coconut oil in glass gallon and half gallon jars and am looking forward to using those.