Friday, March 09, 2012

A Last Pot Of Chili

March typically signals the end of soup season at our house. At least heavy hearty soups!

I asked Andy this morning if he minded having chili for dinner even though the weather has been somewhat warm.

His response: "Not at all!"

Chili is one of his favorites and it seems I don't remember to make it often enough.

As I prepared dinner, I realized that this may be one of the last pots of soup for this winter!

We'll soon be moving from heavier hot foods to lighter and cooler choices. Salads and 'cold plates' will be making more of an appearance on our table once again.

I don't have a recipe for chili. I brown a pound of ground beef and then just dump ingredients in until it looks and tastes right.

  • Diced tomatoes
  • Chopped green pepper
  • Diced onion
  • Tomato sauce
  • Lentils
  • Pinto beans
  • Sometimes kidney beans
  • Chili powder
  • Garlic or garlic powder
  • Salt
  • Water for right consistency
 When beef is almost done cooking, I like to throw the peppers and onions in with it and let them saute a few minutes. Combine all ingredients with cooked ground beef. Bring to boil on stove and then turn heat down to lowish and let simmer for an hour or so.  Or cook it in the crockpot like I did. Turn on high for 1-2 hours and then on low for 3-4.

Don't you love my exactness? :-)

Serve with cheese, sour cream and green onions for garnish. I had some fresh avocado, on sale at Bi-Lo this week, which we sliced and ate on our organic baby lettuces, also on sale this week!

Yummy!

What springtime foods are you looking forward to eating?

    2 comments:

    Monica Wilkinson said...

    We've been enjoying LOTS of strawberries!

    Cindy@NorthofWiarton said...

    Looks "yummy" Mary Ann. We are having another "blast" of Winter here at the moment, once again.