Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Inexpensive Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts


It's no secret that boneless, skinless chicken breasts are quicker and easier to cook with than messing with a whole chicken.

It's also no secret that we could pay a hefty price for this convenience! At regular price, chicken breasts are expensive.

I do a lot with whole chickens but there are some recipes where chicken breasts are just so much better! And I like the convenience of pulling a chicken breast from the freezer for a quick meal.

In my area, split chicken breasts or bone-in chicken breasts are often on sale for under $1 a pound. I used to purchase some but found them too hard to cut up. So I stopped buying them.

Recently, I bought a big package and following the directions for cutting split chicken breasts on $5 Dinners, decided to try this one more time.

It worked! I'm not sure why it seemed so difficult before, but this time I had those babies cut and separated within minutes. From 5 pounds and about $5 worth of chicken, I got 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 5 tenderloin pieces and after I cooked the meaty bones that were left, several cups of chopped and cooked chicken ready for chicken salad, soups or casseroles and about a quart of chicken broth.

I'm sold! I don't know about you, but I'll gladly pay $.89 or $.99 a pound for chicken breasts vs. $2.50-$4.98 a pound, even if it means a little bit of work on my part.

Writing this post puts me in the mood for our favorite Israeli Spice Chicken!:-)

**This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday!

3 comments:

Wendi said...

Next time split chicken breast are on sale I am going to try this. Thanks for sharing!

Eileen said...

Thanks for the link! I know how to cut up a whole chicken, but not how to de-bone the breast.

Have you ever cooked the breasts with the skin on and bone in? That is my favorite way to make chicken salad or any other recipe calling for cooked chicken. Roast them in the oven with salt and pepper, then let cool and pull the skin off and the bones out. Very flavorful.

Love your blog!

Monica Wilkinson said...

Ooooh - I'm totally bookmarking this idea!