Monday, August 29, 2011

Get Well Care Package

My dad suffered a stroke about a month ago. Being so far away, I really wanted to be able to do something but wasn't sure what to do.

I prayed about it and God gave me some great ideas for a care package. In fact, I got so many ideas, there was no way I could use all of them! I hope that by sharing this, you will glean some inspiration for how to bless those in similar situations!

It was so much fun to put together a little package for him.

  • A portable CD player with headphones to be able to listen to music without disturbing his roommate.
  • A small flip book with a collection of verses focusing on healing and strength. **His whole right side was affected to various degrees affecting his speech, use of right arm/hand and his walking. I made this little book from plain gift tags and attached them with a book ring and decorated with stickers.
  • A microwaveable/freezable rice bag to use for aches and pains or as a heating pad.
  • Some sugar-free Lifesavers. Dad has diabetes and while I wasn't sure if he could have many of these, I thought they would also be fun to share with his guests and therapists at the rehab center.
  • A fast food gift card for my Mom and brother. Since I can't be there to cook a meal for them, this was the next best solution to take a little of the stress away.
** The verses included in the flip book. There were so many good ones that I and some of my Facebook friends found ! I could probably make another book and still not use them all!

  • Isaiah 40:29-31: "But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds, declares the Lord. "
  • Psalm 30:2: "O Lord my God, I called to you for help and you healed me."
  • Isaiah 40: 29-31: " He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary. they will walk and not faint."
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9: " But he said to me, "My strength is sufficient for you, for my power is amde perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."
  • Nehemiah 8:10b: "For the joy of the Lord is your strength."
  • Psalm 103:1-3,5: " Praise the Lord, O my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name. Prasie the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases...who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's."
  • Exodus 15:26b: "I am the Lord who heals you."
  • Psalm 18:32,36: " He makes my feet  like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights... You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn."
  • Habakkuk 3:19: "The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to go on the heights."
  • Ephesians 3: 20-21:  "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in he church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."

 ***My dad is scheduled to go home from the rehab center this Wednesday. His speech has improved dramatically as has his walking. He is able to walk up stairs some with a pronged cane and has been able to get in and out of his wheelchair by himself some. He is also able to be more independent with his self-care and can run his wheelchair with just one arm. Continue to pray for his full recovery and for strength and movement to return to his right arm and hand.

What are some ideas that you have for Get Well baskets or care packages?




8 comments:

gail said...

great idea mary ann! i pray that your dad has a speedy and full recovery. when my dh had his accident and was in the hospital and rehab hospital i read alot of verses from psalms over him (coma) and to him (once awake). i think they helped me as much as him =)

Wendi said...

Great care package! I am happy to hear that your dad will be leaving the rehab center. I will be praying for his full recovery!

Thanks for sharing the rice pack. If I hang around you long enough I will have all of my handmade Christimas ideas! :)

Mary Ann said...

Gail,

Thank you for your prayers. That is so awesome about you reading Psalms over and to your husband. The Word of God is so powerful and the Psalms are very comforting!

Hope you are having a great day! Thanks for your comment!

Mary Ann said...

Wendi,

I love the rice pack too and would like to make one or two for us! I was thinking they might make good Christmas gifts for this year too.:-)

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea, Mary Ann! I especially love the Scripture you chose.

I have given get-well bags a couple of times in the past and included crossword puzzle books along with pens and pencils, also books and chocolate.

It sounds like your dad is on the mend. I'm praying for his complete recovery.

Melanie said...

So sorry to hear about your dad. I will be praying that he will recover soon!
You did a great job on the care package! I like the verses you chose.

~katie~ said...

I will be praying for your dad, Mary Ann.

This care package is tremendous!!! How thoughtful! Undoubtedly a huge blessing to your father.

Your creativity is a blessing to us all!

Monica Wilkinson said...

What a sweet idea! Blessings to you today,

Love,
Monica