Friday, November 19, 2010

Christmas Is Coming: Apple Butter


Last year I discovered how to make crock pot apple butter**. It was so good that I decided to give small jars as Christmas gifts to my husband's family.

Well. The apple butter was  a hit at Christmas time! They loved it and I've already had several requests for more this year. In fact, my sister-in-law said that she would take a gallon of apple butter instead of any other gifts!

I figure that with buying apples at about $1 a pound and then purchasing jars, my cost for each jar is around $3.00. If you are able to use jars you already have on hand or find some for free, the cost would be even lower. Even better would be getting apples for free!

I usually make a label for each jar and then tie a simple raffia bow around the lids, but you could make these really cute with fabric or scrapbook paper. This would make a nice gift paired with a loaf of homemade bread or nestled in a basket with other canned goods such homemade pickles and other jams and jellies. 

This is a simple and delicious gift that's sure to please!

** I use a lot less sugar than the directions state-around 1/2 to 3/4 cup per crock pot full and it is still plenty sweet. It depends on your taste and the type of apples used.

**To can: Process jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. 

** If you don't wish to can the apple butter, it can be kept in the fridge for a long while or frozen. 

This post is linked to Life As Mom's Frugal Friday and Proverbs 31 Living's Handmade Christmas Carnival!

1 comment:

Ann Minard said...

My daughter and I are doing this next week for Christmas gift baskets. My old friend Derenda--who just happens to have been raised Mennonite-- taught us years ago.