Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Miscellaneous Freezer Cooking Day

Or Breakfast Foods and Bean Burritos!:-)

 I did another of my small freezer cooking sessions yesterday. My stash of breakfast and lunch foods were both nearly depleted so I did a combination of both!

I was feeling rather peaceful and unrushed yet I checked the clock to see how long this took me since my goal is to keep these small freezer cooking sessions to 2 hours or less.

Cooking and preparing all these foods  plus grinding two Tupperware cereal containers of flour took me right at 2 hours. This did not include cleanup!

The fruit of my labors:

  • 11 bean burritos (directions below)
  • 8 sausage biscuits (directions below)
  • 8 unbaked biscuits (I used whole wheat pastry flour(soft white wheat) for the biscuits. They turn out much lighter than if using regular whole wheat flour(hard wheat).
  • 1 dozen cranberry pineapple muffins (I'll be sharing this recipe soon. Fantastic!)

Bean Burritos

These burritos are super simple to assemble and freeze.  They are also very inexpensive and can be quickly heated in the microwave making them a nice convenience food to have on hand.

You will need:
  • 1 can refried beans
  • Salsa
  • Shredded cheese
  • Flour tortillas
Mix refried beans and salsa together. I probably use about 1/2 cup of salsa, maybe a bit more. You don't want it too runny, at least I don't!

Spread bean mixture on tortillas. Sprinkle with cheese. Roll up and place on waxed paper lined baking pan (or reuse a cereal bag like I do!). Freeze until solid and place in a freezer bag until ready to use.

When ready to use: Take out as many burritos as you want and heat them in the microwave until heated through. I usually cook 4 burritos in about 3 minutes, checking them often to be sure they don't overcook.

You can add meat, green chilies, really anything you want!

Sausage Biscuits

My husband loves it when I make sausage biscuits, which I freely admit isn't that often! They're pretty easy to make and I figure if you're going to make biscuits and fry sausage anyways, then you might as well make a big batch and only clean up once!

You will need:
  • Biscuits- Use your favorite recipe or mine. Store-bought biscuits will work well too!
  • Sausage- A 1 pound roll makes 8 patties for me.
Bake biscuits according to directions. Cook sausage patties and drain on paper towels. Let cool.

Slice biscuits in half and place one sausage patty in between. Bet you couldn't have figured that step out, huh!

Wrap each biscuit in plastic wrap and freeze in a gallon sized bag.

To use: Remove biscuits from bag. Again, duh! Allow biscuits to thaw for a little while if you have time.  Unwrap biscuits and wrap in a  paper towel and heat in microwave for about 1 minute or until heated through.

Enjoy!

No comments: