Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Beet Salad

I made this beet salad using beets from the Farmer's Market. I can't remember what the name of this beet is, but it's red and white striped. Very pretty!

Edited to add:  Thanks to Kathryn who commented and suggested that this is a Chioggia beet. Couldn't remember what the farmer called them but knew it started with a 'C'. :-)

I copied this recipe from The Brown Bag Lunch Cookbook a few months ago. One thing that attracted me to this recipe was that it only made one serving since I'm the only one here that likes beets.

This was not the most photogenic salad but very easy and tasty. And very healthy!

 Beet Salad

1/2 cup grated raw beets
1/2 cup grated carrot
1/2 cup grated apple
1/2 cup grated cabbage
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
Balsamic Vinaigrette

Mix everything together and dress with vinaigrette.

Makes one large serving or 2-4 servings if using as a side dish.

Enjoy! Beets are very high in folate, a B vitamin!

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

That looks like a Chioggia or Bullseye beet. Its an Heirloom plant. I've been wanting to plant some of these.

Mary Ann said...

It's a Chioggia. Couldn't remember what he called them but knew it started with a 'C'. Thanks for jogging my brain!