Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Southwestern Lentil Casserole

 I adapted a basic lentil and rice casserole into these Southwestern Lentils. Super easy, tasty, inexpensive to make and utilizes the crockpot!


I've found that occasional lentil and rice type dishes like this are good for helping to offset the meat expense on our current eating plan while still being high in protein and low in carbs!


 Southwestern Lentil Casserole

3 cups water, chicken, beef  or vegetable broth
1/4 -1/2 pound ground beef, crumbled, browned and drained (optional, but I prefer the taste of meat with my lentils)
1 cup lentils
1/4 - 1/2 cup brown rice
1 small- medium onion, chopped
15 ounce can tomato sauce
1 can (14-15 ounces) diced tomatoes (If you want more kick, use tomatoes with green chilies.)
1 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon oregano


Mix all together in a greased crockpot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Can also be baked in the oven at 300 degrees for 2 hours. Serve with cheese and sour cream if desired. If your diet allows, this would make yummy burritos, too.

Make changes to spices as you wish. Don't think you can really mess it up. I'm still perfecting this and make it different every time. You can play with the liquids to get the consistency you prefer. I prefer it to be a little on the runny side without being soupy but not clumpy thick either. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been on the look-out for new recipes. Definitely going to try this one! I think my men-folk will love it.

Tea said...

Mmmm! I might have to try this!

-Mrs. Robinson said...

I found you over at Meal Plan Monday. My family is trying to eat unprocessed too. This recipe looks good! I'm going to try it this week. Thanks, and I'll keep coming back to see what you're making. :)

Mary Ann said...

Mrs. Robinson,

Welcome! Hope you like this dish!

Mary Ann