Monday, June 28, 2010

Zucchini Casserole


This is probably my all-time  favorite zucchini dish! My mom made this all the time during the summer when we were growing up. It's definitely a family favorite.

I made this dish over the weekend to take to our church fellowship and was reminded of how deliciously yummy it is! I seriously could eat this every day. It's that good!

Yellow squash can be used instead of zucchini, if desired.

Zucchini Casserole

3 cups sliced zucchini
1 1/2 cups coarse saltine cracker crumbs--about 20 crackers (Ritz crackers also work well.)
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Mix all ingredients together and pour into greased 2-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle top with paprika for extra color, if desired.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until golden brown.

Serves 8 as a side dish. Serves 4 as a main dish.

Enjoy!

12 comments:

Melanie said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe.
I will have to try it.
Looks delicious!! :)

L said...

That looks so good! I love recipes that use in-season items like zucchini. Thanks for sharing. Only thing, can't have diary here - would it work without the cheese or maybe with some goat feta?

Mary Ann said...

Lyn,

Not sure, but I don't see why you couldn't try it without the cheese and see if it would work.

I haven't tried goat cheese for cooking, but imagine it would work.

Thanks for commenting!

Mary Ann said...

Melanie,

Hope you get to try it and that you like it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! Just like squash casserole. I don't know why I haven't thought of using zucchini before!

~katie~ said...

My mouth is watering!! This looks scrumptious....must try it!! Thank you for the recipe!

Tea said...

This sounds good. I'm loving zucchini lately, so I may have to try this one!

Thanks for sharing! :)

Denise said...

Sounds yummy, I might be able to get my hubby to eat zucchini if I make it this way. The only other way he eats it is in zucchini bread!

Mary Ann said...

Denise,

Some of my family doesn't eat zucchini, either. But they love the egg and cheese part! My brother still picks the zucchini out. :-)

Mary Ann said...

Mary Bailey,

Yes, here in the South this would be called a Squash Casserole. :-)

It works great with yellow squash. I'm much fonder of zucchini though.:-)

Brown English Muffin said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe looks very good!!!

Lynne said...

I made this dish years ago (before Internet) and could not find my recipe. So glad I found recipe online. I remember sautéing ingredients together on stove first, then putting in oven. Regardless, so happy to find your recipe to reinforce. my memory!
Thank you,
Lynne