Friday, February 12, 2010

Making Your Home A Haven: Chores

This week's theme for Making Your Home A Haven was chores.

After reading Monica's post last week, I decided to give Flylady's zones and weekly missions a try. From reading through some of Flylady's site, it seemed as though she had already done the thinking and list-making for me.  All I had to do was consistently follow the plan.

 This week's zone was the kitchen so I started off the week by printing off Flylady's detailed kitchen cleaning list. I put it on my fridge in a sheet protector so I could cross off the completed tasks with a dry-erase marker. I plan to do this each week with the detailed list for that week's zone. I'll be able to reuse the lists over and over. As time goes on, I'll add to or subtract from her list to tailor it to my home and needs, but for now it is a great starting place!

I also worked on the mission for each day. I love these! They don't take long to complete but are those little things you never quite get around to doing, you know?

I will be honest and tell you that I didn't get everything done on my detailed list, but I did what I could. What a  difference it made!  The oven, stovetop and burners and the trashcans are clean now. Both were in dire need of a cleaning. It makes me feel so good to have these chores completed for a little while!

I also worked on planning more this week. It is working out so well for me to sit down on Sunday night and work on a basic plan for the week which I tweak and add to throughout the week. I hope to make this a habit. I also prayed over my to-do list and day each morning which seemed to put me in a better frame of mind going into the workday.

I added Flylady's zones and missions in with my regular cleaning schedule. I'll try this for a while and see how it goes. It was successful for me this week!
 

**Thanks to Monica for hosting Making Your Home A Challenge!

3 comments:

Monica Wilkinson said...

Hi Mary Ann!

Great job on doing some of the Fly Lady zone this week - as she says, even if you don't get it all done, what you do get done is a blessing to your home!

Have a great weekend!
Monica

Anonymous said...

Do you subscribe to the reminders and e-mails or do you just check her website? I found the massive amounts of e-mails *very* overwhelming but I think the gist of her plan/ideas are excellent and I miss using them. I wonder if you can effectively use her plan without being on the e-mail list.

Mary Ann said...

A Quiet, Gracious Life,

I check her website daily. The emails were way too overwhelming for me, too and made me feel so behind. I don't use her whole plan right now but I've found the chores, zones and missions to be effective and have plugged those in to my daily routine and cleaning schedule. What I do is make sure that I have the detailed cleaning list for that week printed off. This week I discovered she has a Sneak Peak for the Week which includes the daily missions, so I printed that off as well and have it on my fridge where I can see it. This way I'm not having to run to her site every day and I can plan better.

Hope this helps!