Thursday, February 26, 2009

Baked Oatmeal

This yummy dish shows up on my menu plans quite often. It's easy to prepare the night before and have refrigerated to bake the next morning. This makes 3 breakfasts for the two of us. Not bad!

My mom made this for us growing up. Now it's one of my husband's favorites! It's good warm out of the oven or cold the next day. We eat it like cereal with milk.

Baked Oatmeal

Ingredients:
3 cups quick-cooking oats
1 cup brown sugar or 1/2 cup honey
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup melted butter or oil

Mix all ingredients. Pour into a 8 or 9-inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serve with milk. Makes 4-6 servings.

For fun, add in some chocolate chips, blueberries,cranberries, dried fruit, nuts or coconut! Our favorite is walnut and cranberry(dried or frozen).

**This post is part of Life as Mom's Ultimate Recipe Swap. Today's theme is favorite breakfast foods, so head on over!

7 comments:

Kristen said...

Baked oatmeal is one of our absolute favorite breakfasts. I like it to snack on, too.

Lynn said...

I posted my version of baked oatmeal today too. I enjoyed seeing your version. Thanks.

FishMama said...

I've never done baked oatmeal. What's the consistency like? (My kids have texture issues.)

gail said...

yum! sounds like a wonderful recipe. we make reg oatmeal and add walnuts and cranraisins===yummy!

Mary Ann said...

FishMama,
It's cake-like but heavier. Almost like a muffin.

Arlene said...

I've never made baked oatmeal before, either. Sounds delicious! I'll be giving this a try soon! Thanks, Mary Ann :o)

Arlene said...

Hey, Mary Ann! Just wanted to let you know I made your recipe today and it was DELICIOUS! I used honey to sweeten, plus I added a pinch of nutmeg and a cup of raisins. I can't wait until my husband returns from his deployment -- I just know he'll love it, too! Thanks! :o)