Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Kitchen Tip Tuesdays: Drying Salad Greens


Maybe I'm the last one to actually try this... But this past weekend, I finally took to heart what I've read in oodles of articles and household hints books and tried spinning my lettuce leaves in the washing machine to get them dry.

It worked wonderfully.

If you're like me and don't own a salad spinner, here's how you do it. After washing lettuce, put salad greens in a large bag. I used a clean pillowcase and knotted it closed at the top. Place bag of greens in the washer and set to the final spin. Let spin. It's good to stand nearby so you don't forget about the lettuce. Also so your husband can come talk to you and, with raised eyebrow, see you remove lettuce from a pillowcase.:-)

I've always dreaded buying the lettuce that wasn't pre-washed and cut. Now I know it can be done in only a few minutes without lettuce laying on the kitchen counters being hand-blotted dry!

For more kitchen tips, please visit Tammy's blog!

2 comments:

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

I could see my husband raising an eyebrow with this one, too. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I have NEVER heard that one! I'll have to try that... but I'll definitely have to stand near the machine or I WILL forget the lettuce...