Saturday, April 16, 2011

Insight From Scripture: 2 Peter 2

**As I climbed into bed after 10 pm last night (late for me!), I realized that I hadn't posted my Scripture insight for the day.  At that point, I thought, "Oh well! It'll have to wait for tomorrow." So here it is, a day late!

2 Peter 2:

What jumps out?
Verse 19: "They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity-- for a man is slave to whatever has mastered him."

Why?
Jesus came to set the captives free! 
"I have indeed seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their groaning and have come down to set them free."  Acts 7:34
"So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." John 8:36
"The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." John 10:10
Why then do so many Christians still live in bondage?
"Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey—whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?" Romans 6:16

Application: 
Share the message of freedom with others.

Area of development:
Passing the hope of Christ to others.

Today's Prayer:
Thank you that You came to set us completely free from anything that holds us back from truly pursuing a relationship with You. Give me opportunities to share this message with others. Amen.

**Care to join me this week? Read 2 Peter 2 and share your insights in the comments! If you'd like to post your insights on your blog, just leave a link to that post in the comments of this one.

No comments: