Saturday, April 09, 2011

Daily Bible Reading-- 1 and 2 Peter

I've mentioned the method I use for daily Bible reading and wanted to give you a chance to join in next week if you'd like!

Starting this Sunday, I'll be reading through the books of 1 and 2 Peter all week.  Typically I read one chapter a day but since this week's reading includes 8 chapters, there will be one day where I'll do two chapters instead.

Each day, I'll post my insights from that day's reading. If you desire to join in (and I hope you will!) you can leave your insights or a link to your own blog post about that day's reading in the comment section of the appropriate post.

Instructions:

  •  Set aside 15-30 minutes to read the chapter and write down any insight you receive.

  •  Before reading, ask the Holy Spirit to guide you as you read and to reveal insight and wisdom through God's Word that you will be able to apply to daily living.

  •  Read the chapter. I often read 2 or 3 times before anything jumps out at me. This is ok!

  •  After reading, write down your responses to these questions:

1) List one thing that jumps out at you. This can be a whole verse, a word, a phrase, anything in the chapter.
2) Please explain why it jumped out. 
3) How will this change the way you live your life? This means practical application for daily living.
4) Based upon the answers above, what area of your Christian walk is God developing?
       __Growing your faith in Christ.
       __Passing the hope of Christ on to others.
       __Building love relationships with Christ and people.
5) Write down any insight you have received concerning salvation in Christ.
6) Write down your prayer for the day.

  • Share your insights with someone!
Reading Schedule For This Week: 

Sunday: 1 Peter 1
Monday: 1 Peter 2 and 3
Tuesday: 1 Peter 4
Wednesday: 1 Peter 5
Thursday: 2 Peter 1
Friday: 2 Peter 2
Saturday: 2 Peter 3

Some things to keep in mind:

** Don't over think this! This isn't meant to be a comprehensive chapter study but rather to give simple insight for daily life.

** If you've read these books before, ask the Lord to show you something new.

** Some days you may have very short insight and other days long. This is fine!

** You are not obligated to join in with sharing your insight every day. However, this is a great way to get into the habit of  daily reading so I greatly encourage you to try it for every day this next week!


I hope you'll join me and find this to be as effective of a method as I have!

Who's with me?

No comments: