Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Easy Crockpot Roast Beef

I wanted to cook a roast in the crock pot yesterday and wanted to add some kind of spices or a marinade to it. Since I was planning on using the meat as an ingredients in 2 other dinners this week, I didn't want it to be too overly spiced or drenched in salsa or anything.

I found this yummy recipe in my favorite crockpot book and poured it all together in the pot. The result was one of the best roasts that I've ever eaten!There was a slight kick to it but definitely not overpowering. The meat was so tender and flavorful! This smelled so good while it was cooking!

Easy Roast Beef

1 roast- I used a 3.5 pound chuck roast.
1/3 cup water
1 can (4 ounces)green chilies, with liquid
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Plop meat in greased crockpot. Combine all other ingredients and pour over meat. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Makes 4-6 servings.


Update on the grass-fed beef: This roast was from our recent beef order and was absolutely delicious! So far we've loved the beef that we got. Our first try was some grilled hamburgers and while they were delicious, we could detect a slight "grassy" flavor. I think it's something we'll get used to. The rest of the meat has been added to casseroles and such so we didn't taste anything different.

Due to the lower fat content, it's recommended that grass-fed beef is marinated and cooked slowly. I've also been following the farmer's advice to add a bit of olive oil when browning the ground beef since it produces so little grease in the pan. I've been careful to cook all of this meat at a lower temperature and so far it has all been wonderful and not at all dry or tough.

No comments: