Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette

I've been searching for a good homemade dressing recipe for the past several years. Of all I tried, none were really good or a dressing that both of us really liked.

Back before Christmas, I checked out The Brown Bag Lunch Cookbook from the library. I copied down a number of simple recipes that looked good, among them a Basic Vinaigrette Dressing with many variations.

I haven't tried the basic recipe yet but soon after the first of the year, I mixed up the balsamic variation and we loved it! My husband said, "Now this a keeper!" I've made it several times since then.

This is inexpensive to make, especially if you already keep olive oil and balsamic vinegar on hand, and takes 5 minutes or less to mix up, literally.

I pour all the ingredients into a recycled balsamic vinegar bottle using a funnel, put the lid on and shake.

Balsamic Vinaigrette
Makes 1 cup dressing.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (I use some I bought at Trader Joe's a while back and it is delicious!)
1 tablespoon Dijon or spicy brown mustard
1 small clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Put all ingredients in jar. Cover and shake well. Or blend in blender for a longer emulsification.

The recipe states that this is good for 5 days. We've found that it still tastes great after a week or two. Use your own judgment. :-) If using within 5 days, leave out. Otherwise, refrigerate. Bring to room temperature and shake well before using as ingredients with harden and separate.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Serenity Now said...

Do you chop the garlic? or just put it in whole?

Mary Ann said...

Chop or use pre-minced garlic. Sometimes I use garlic powder instead.

Thanks! I'll edit the post.:-)