Friday, March 11, 2011

Getting Started On Our Shoeboxes!

One of our favorite Christmas activities is packing our Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes. We always have a really fun time picking out toys and other fun and practical items to share with children who have so little.

And the best part of all is that when the shoe boxes are presented to the children, they also have an opportunity to hear how much Jesus loves them. And many have accepted Christ into their hearts as a result. I love this story of Oksana, who received a shoe box gift as a young girl.

Collection week for the boxes isn't until November, but I was determined to work on them all year and get a head start this year! I thought if I committed to adding something each month, the boxes will be nicely filled by November and I won't be rushing around at the last minute.

January- Purchased shoe boxes. Plastic boxes are nice as they are durable and useful and many children will use them for carrying water.
February- Added some nearly free toothpaste.

I also had a few items leftover from last year's boxes.

We like to pack one box for each person in our family so that means we do two. One girl; one boy. So far we've always picked the 5-9 age group. 

Starting now will give me plenty of time to find stuff at good prices as well as make a few handmade gifts.

I keep the boxes on my closet shelf and just keep adding! It's fun to see them fill up and helps me to remember to keep an eye out for appropriate items.

What do you like to pack in your shoe boxes?

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Hi, Mary Ann~
Our church ladies always do these every year...we have fun putting them together!
We include the basics like toothbrushes and toothpaste, and we also like to add matchbox cars, puzzles, jump ropes, and other little toys that will fit in the boxes.
I think it's a great idea to use the plastic containers!
Hope you have a great weekend. :)

Abbie Byers said...

That is a great idea! I don't like doing things last minute either!!