Friday, February 04, 2011

Chickpea, Spinach and Garlic Dip

**Originally posted in 2006 on my old cooking blog. Oh, how I love this dip! I did have to laugh though, bags of spinach are now closer to $2.00 each at Aldi's. We usually get organic spinach at Costco or Sam's Club at just under $4.00 for a one pound box.

Instead of making hummus for dinner last night, I mixed up this yummy dip instead. I got this recipe from my sister-in-law. It is easy and healthy and not very expensive to make. (I get bags of Fresh Express spinach for just over a dollar at Aldi's.)

Chickpea, Spinach and Garlic Dip

1 bag washed baby spinach
1 can chickpeas
1-2 cloves minced garlic
olive oil
salt
pepper

Drain chickpeas but save a couple tablespoons of liquid. Cook the garlic in the liquid for a minute or two.(low to medium heat) Add the chickpeas and spinach and cook until spinach has cooked down( a few minutes). Mix in food processor and add a little olive oil while it is mixing along with salt and pepper. (Add oil a little at a time until it reaches desired consistency.)You can also add a little plain yogurt if you want it a little creamier.

Serve dip hot or cold with pita chips.
To make pita chips: Spit and cut whole wheat pita bread. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with garlic, salt or paprika. Bake for a few minutes at 400 degrees and let cool.

No comments: