Monday, January 10, 2011

What's Cooking At My House

The past few weeks I've been doing making meal plans a few days at a time rather than a whole week. So today I'm getting back in the saddle and doing a whole week's menu once again! A menu plan keeps things so much simpler and saves us money too as I use what I have on hand and am not as likely to want to go out to eat at the last minute!

As I start the new year, one of my goals is to keep our grocery bill fairly low through smart shopping, effective meal planning and wise use of leftovers and what we have already stocked in the pantry.

Last week's bargain shopping got me 2 bags of spinach for $.39 each (by combining sales with coupons), FREE chicken breasts at Earth Fare and several bags of good deals from Harris Teeter's Super Doubles coupon event. Then on Friday morning, I hit the jackpot at Bi-Lo and got a bag of 11 avocados, a bag of tomatoes(4-5 pounds), a mixed bag of sweet potatoes and onions(6 pounds) and 2 packages of Earthbound Farms baby carrots and dip. These were all on the produce clearance rack- each bag was $1.49 and the carrots were $.69 cents a pack plus a $1/2 manufacturer's coupon. I figured out by looking at regular prices that I paid $4.91 for close to $40 worth of produce. Not every week is this productive in the bargain hunting department but I was very happy with my finds and it serves as a good reminder to always keep my eyes open as you never know what you'll find!

So lots of fresh produce to use in my meal plan this week!

Breakfasts: oatmeal, green smoothies or cold cereal

Lunches: egg salad sandwiches, peanut butter sandwiches, coleslaw, salads or leftovers

Suppers:

1) Israeli Spice Chicken, marinated tomatoes, mashed sweet potatoes

2) Homemade egg rolls, sauteed or steamed veggies, brown rice

3) Banana oat pancakes, scrambled eggs, tangerines

4) Beef and noodles, green beans

5) Pinto beans, corn muffins

6) spaghetti, salad

What's cooking at your house?

No comments: