Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Frugal Five

Remember when I did regular Frugal Five posts?

Well, I've still been frugal but just not posting about it. I'd like for that to change!

I enjoy reading about how other homemakers are practicing frugality and resourcefully stretching their dollars. Those posts are always inspiring and encouraging to me--that is how I hope these Frugal Five posts come across to you as well.

In my last post, I told how my husband and I are embarking on the journey of domestic adoption. (Thank you for all your well wishes and prayers! We appreciate each one!) Adoption is quite expensive so we are all about saving as much as we can right now! Every penny saved goes to our adoption fund.

Some recent ways we have saved money:
  1. Our medical coverage doesn't cover prescriptions. I have a prescription that cost $75 per 30 day supply at CVS and that was for the generic brand. (My doctor gave me samples of another that would've been $200 per month so I considered this the better option!) However, $75!!! Ouch! I decided to check at Sam's Club that is right by our house. They offer the very same item for $11.87. I was shocked! I was expecting maybe a $20 savings. So obviously, we are getting prescriptions filled at Sam's now. I have another prescription that I only use as needed so one box lasts about 6 months. This one was only around $17 so not too expensive but Sam's offers it for $4. So we are saving a lot of money right there!
  2. We don't eat out often but we've been using coupons when we do. 2 meals for the price of one?Yes, please!
  3. Speaking of eating out, I've been buying the $5.99 fresh pizzas from Aldi to have on hand when I know we will have a super busy day and it would be tempting to go to a restaurant. These freeze really nice and are very good.
  4. Made beef broth using some bones I had in the freezer. 
  5. Rock got out of the fenced backyard twice last week. One time he showed up in the driveway on the other side of the gate and waited to be let back in. LOL We finally discovered a hole in the fence by the woods. We "rednecked" it back together by attaching a random piece of fencing that was left here by the previous owner. He won't be getting out through that hole anytime soon!
How are you saving money and practicing frugality in your home?
 

3 comments:

Debbie J said...

Wow, you are saving a lot on that prescription. I love CVS, but they are expensive, unless you are doing their deals! All five of your frugal ideas are great.

I'm still doing some coupons, CVS Extra bucks, Savings Star and selling a few things in my Etsy Shop. Pine Cone Surveys. Swagbucks. I have lots of $5.00 Amazon GCs I earned through swagbucks, sitting in my account until Christmas. Ebates. Love when I get an email that money has been put into my paypal account, even if its only $5.00! They are all small payouts, but they add up.

Monica Wilkinson said...

I'll try to think of five from this week:

1. cut David and Samuel's hair yesterday
2. cut flowers and lettuce from our yard, picked a few black berries
3. packed a picnic lunch when we traveled an hour to go to Hobby Lobby yesterday :) And of course, used a 40% off coupon. Emily bought something with her own money as well, so I pulled up the 40% coupon on my phone and she saved a few dollars
4. Followed through on an over-charge at Sam's and got $14 on a gift card to use while shopping yesterday, plus combined all my out of town errands to save time/gas
5. repurposed some big canvases given to me {originally thrifted} into art display for my kiddos - I bought half price ribbon and 40% off fabric to fix up but the canvases were free and I used a big stapler I already had.

Jill said...

I love Aldi's! So many great deals there and can make a few great meals cheap for a week or more :-) Have a great weekend!

Blessings,
Jill