Monday, December 15, 2008

Menu Plan Monday



Looking back to last week' menu, I made a couple of changes throughout the week. Instead of roasting a chicken, I tried this Rotisserie-style Chicken in the crock pot. It was super delicious! The juices made wonderful gravy, too! I had planned three chicken meals to use up the chicken, but we ate so much at the first meal, I only had enough to make a batch of chimichangas(enough for dinner and a meal's worth to freeze).

I didn't get to the Garlic, Chicken and Spinach Spaghetti. Instead, I filled the crock pot with a bunch of odds and ends of meat, rice and veggies-even some veggie broth- from my fridge and freezer and made a yummy vegetable soup that fed us for dinner one night and several lunches over the next few days.

I also followed the Crockpot Lady's instructions for making chicken broth in the crock pot. It was so great! I didn't have to worry about it boiling over on the stove. It just simmered all day.

I'm really loving the Crockpot Lady's blog, by the way! There are so many wonderful ideas and I love having my crock pot slaving away during the day preparing goodies for us to eat!

After baking Christmas goodies all of Saturday afternoon, my sweet husband took me out to Chili's for dinner. We had a coupon for a free appetizer and we split an entree. Sweet! The hamburgers that I planned for that night's dinner will reappear this week.:-)

Now this week, I'll probably only be cooking 3 or 4 dinners at home. I have 4 planned as well as a few lunches since I won't have as many leftovers since I'm not cooking every night. I'm also focusing on using food up as we'll be away for a few days next week!

Dinners:
1)chicken gravy on toast;peas
2)hamburgers,celery and carrot sticks
3)salmon patties, baked butternut squash,buttered noodles
4)scrambled eggs, toast, fruit

Lunches:
-- pork bbq** sandwiches(2)
--leftovers(2)
--homemade pizza**(1)
--quick spaghetti(1)

Breakfasts:
--cereal, milk(2)
--bagels, cream cheese, apple slices(2)
--breakfast cookies**, smoothies (1)
--oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, fruit(2)

**denotes ready-made freezer items

For more menu planning fun, visit Organizing Junkie!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the link to the Crockpot Chicken. I saved the link and plan on trying it next week.
I even read someone's post suggestion where they added potatoes wrapped in foil.
Sounds like our teen has a new recipe to try next week.