Friday, February 15, 2013

February Freezer Cooking

I've been trying to make a habit of planning for some freezer cooking once I do my big shopping trip at the beginning of the month.

With my fridge and pantry well-stocked, it's a good time to prep foods for easy cooking later in the month. Instead of bringing meat home and freezing, then thawing it to make into meals later, I've been prepping it right away--ground beef, chicken legs and chicken breasts are good for this.

What I made this month:

  • 2 meatloaves.
  • 3 pounds browned ground beef--bagged in 1/2 pound portions.
  • Spaghetti sauce--5 containers of various sizes.
  • Pot of chili--3 (quart) jars. 
  • Chicken and brown rice stuffing--9x13 pan. This size will feed us for about 3 meals or is a good size for using for our Sunday fellowship. 
  • Shredded cheese--11 (1-cup) bags.
  • Brown rice-- 9 (2-cup) bags. 
  • 2-Spicy Dijon Chicken (from this cookbook).
  • 2- Garlicky Italian Chicken (from this cookbook).
  • 1- Israeli Spice Chicken.
  • 3- bags of chopped chicken for stir-fry. 
  • Turkey gravy-- 1 (quart) jar. I froze this last month for the first time and it turned out really good!
This cooking was done in several 1-2 hour sessions.  It would be nice to just get it all done at one time but my schedule just doesn't allow for that right now! Plus I was feeling pretty sick last weekend so this all took much longer than normal as I was absolutely wiped out after about 1 hour of cooking!

Because of this, I simplified my plan somewhat, making meatloaves instead of meatballs and freezing plain cooked ground beef instead of seasoning some of it. 

But thankfully, I got this much cooking done and I'm feeling better too! I know not everyone is a fan of freezer cooking but for me it's a lifesaver. It would be very difficult to get home-cooked meals on the table every day without having some of the prep work done for me already!

It's important to us (and our budget) to eat mostly unprocessed foods and homemade meals made from scratch. Freezer cooking is one of the ways we can do this without cooking all. the. time.

I heart freezer cooking!

1 comment:

Rhonda said...

I am a fan of freezer cooking too, taco meat and chili are our favorites. We just ate the last of both and I need to make more but the lean ground beef at Sams did not look as lean as I thought it should so I did not buy any meat yet. The 90% percent lean meat should not have lots of noticeable white in it, right?

hope you have a nice week.