Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Christmas Dress


We went to my sister's house for Thanksgiving this year. On Wednesday night, I felt the urge to sew a Christmas dress for my eighteen month old niece. If I gave it to her at Thanksgiving, she'd be able to wear it all season long as opposed to receiving it at Christmas.

I picked from my stash a small piece of red corduroy from the thrift store earlier this year and a piece of red and white stripe that my sister had given to me.  There wasn't quite enough corduroy for the whole dress so I needed another fabric to add to it. I chose the red and white stripe rather than a Christmas print so she could wear it all winter.

This was a fun project to work on and from start to finish only took me a little over an hour! The pattern is New Look 6578. I made a size 2 and it fit Leila perfectly while still able to wear it as a jumper with a shirt underneath.


We thought it would be fun to get her dressed up and take a bunch of pictures of her in the dress. Leila is such a busy girl that the photo shoot was easier said than done as she ran around the house doing whatever she pleased. As soon as we thought we'd get a good shot, she moved. Quickly. We got lots of laughs out of this! Her expressions are so funny!



Leila loved wearing the dress and her black Mary Janes. She is such a girly-girl and cried when we put the dress away saying, "Mine, mine!"

And if you're really interested in seeing the dress, here are some much less amusing pictures of it.




No comments: