Friday, October 22, 2010

Christmas Is Coming: Princess Ballerina Skirt and Purse

Christmas is coming! In the coming weeks, I'll be sharing some of my homemade gifts, decorations and goodies. I like to make a lot of our gifts each year and I try to keep things fairly simple and frugal, as well.
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The first handmade gift for this Christmas is a little girl's skirt with matching purse for our 6 year old niece. She's the princess of the family and loves ballet, dresses and all things pink, so when I saw this awesome princess/ballerina fabric, I knew I needed to make her a skirt!


The skirt came together quickly. I've made plenty of skirts for myself so I knew how to construct it although  I did consult an online tutorial (which unfortunately I cannot locate right now; I'll keep trying) for basic cutting instructions and adapted the measurements accordingly. I added my own touches with the pockets and band around the hem.

After the skirt was completed, I couldn't stop myself from  creating a matching purse. I tweaked this pouch pattern to make what I had in mind.

This gift was so much fun to sew and I'm pretty sure the Princess will approve!

Cost Breakdown:
Fabric: approximately $6.00, although I didn't use quite all of it.
Ribbon, button, elastic loop closure and lining fabric for purse were all from my stash.
About 2 hours of time for completing both projects.

What handmade gifts have you made or are planning to make for Christmas this year?

**This post is a part of Frugal Fridays and Proverbs 31 Living's Have A Handmade Christmas Carnival!

No comments: