Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Works For Me Wednesday: An Organized Bulletin Board


My kitchen bulletin board is the perfect place to keep phone lists, take-out menus, calendar, and any information that needs to be kept in a place where we'll see it often.

This wonderful bulletin board is also a clutter magnet. Papers keep getting put up on the board while outdated information doesn't get taken down. Everything is askew and we can't find anything without digging through a stack of papers.


When I took down our 2008 calendar last week and was sorting through all the stuff that was stored in this particular planning calendar's back pocket, I decided my bulletin board needed to be organized and updated!

I wasn't sure how to go about it but while thinking about how to make "pockets" for specific papers, I remembered these cute file folders-a Christmas gift from my Mom.


First, I wanted to change the background fabric. This Mary Engelbreit fabric has been there for four years. Time for a change. I've been liking the minty greens that have shown up in Target's spring displays so I searched through my fabric stash and found a nice green fabric that will look fresh but still coordinate with my kitchen. Changing the fabric was easy since I just staple it on.

I used two file folders: one for phone lists and business cards and the other for restaurant menus. A clipboard is a handy spot for keeping current store ads. Last I made a small pocket out of scrapbook paper to hold my childcare kids' contact information. As a carryover from my daycare days, I keep all their info on an index card.


Much better! I'm able to find everything I need in a second. An organized bulletin board works for me!

**This post is part of Rocks In My Dryer's Works For Me Wednesday carnival.

6 comments:

Gina @ MoneywiseMoms said...

This looks great! One of the things I did to declutter my area like that (mine's on my fridge instead of a bulletin board) is to fold over the photo from the top of the calendar. It's just one less piece of visual clutter.

I love the file folders!

Lisa said...

So organized and so pretty too! It makes me want a bulletin board! (I also use my fridge)

I love the folder ideas. Maybe I should pretty up some folders for my kitchen with leftover fabric!

Good post!

Debbie J said...

I love the way it looks. I never thought about covering the bulletin board with fabric! I have a plain jane one over my sewing machine that is COVERED with papers, etc. I should redo it with some of my fabric.

Debbie J said...

I love the way it looks. I never thought about covering the bulletin board with fabric! I have a plain jane one over my sewing machine that is COVERED with papers, etc. I should redo it with some of my fabric.

Wendi said...

Looks great! I love the idea of the clipboard. Thanks for the idea!

Alberta said...

Very pretty and functional...thanks for sharing.