Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Another Week, Another Pot Of Soup


I've started nearly every week this winter with filling the crockpot with soup ingredients.

Soup is frugal and nourishing and having a big pot made means ready-made lunches for most of the week. It comes in handy on nights when there aren't any leftovers for lunch the next day. And soup can always be frozen in individual servings for quick lunches later, too.

Most of my crockpot soups end up being something I just make up as I go without a recipe. Here's a list of some of our most frequent soups:

--chicken(or turkey) noodle
--vegetable
--beef vegetable soup(recipe below)
--taco soup(recipe below)
--leftover soup using meat, beans, veggies,rice or pasta, etc. based on what I have on hand or need to use up.
--split pea soup with a ham bone if I have it, otherwise chicken broth adds a nice flavor.
--white chicken chili(I just put all ingredients except cheese in the crockpot and let it cook for 6-8 hours on low.Add cheese during the last half hour of cooking.)

Beef Vegetable Soup

1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
1 jar(26-30 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
3 1/2 cups water
1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed veggies
1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 teaspoon or 1 cube beef bouillon granules(I usually leave this out.)
1 teaspoon pepper

Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until vegetables are tender. You can add a bit more water if it seems too thick.


Taco Soup

1 pound ground turkey or beef
1 can chili beans, with liquid
1 can kidney beans, with liquid
1 can whole kernel corn, with liquid
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 package of taco seasoning mix(or make your own)
chopped onion, optional
cumin to taste, optional

Cook meat and drain. Mix all ingredients in greased crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours.

Serve alone or with cheese, sour cream and tortilla chips.

**Use any combination of your favorite beans. If you cook your own beans, as I do, use 2 cups beans for every can called for. I usually add some water with them to make up for the liquid.


Soups are easy to throw together when you use the crockpot combined with pantry and freezer staples such as homemade broths, frozen or fresh veggies, cooked beans and meats, rice and pasta. Paired with some homemade bread or a muffin, this makes a warm and filling meal during the chilly days of winter.

For more kitchen tips, visit Tammy's Recipes every Tuesday!

4 comments:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Yummy list!

I've got several boxes of free broccoli w/ cheese sauce in my freezer. Wonder if I could make that into broccoli cheese soup?...

Brenda said...

I make this a lot and serve it over rice

DarcyLee said...

I love soup in the wintertime, especially. It's frugal and delicious at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Tuesday is our soup day. DD2 is sick of soup though. But she will just have to live w/it.