Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Frugal Five

It's been a few weeks since I did a Frugal Five post! Days have been busy and there is just not the time to do everything I want or need to do! So sometimes, blogging gets pushed back for a time.

I've been participating in Money Saving Mom's 30 Day Housecleaning Challenge. While I haven't been able to accomplish every single challenge, I've been able to do a lot--more than if I hadn't joined in at all! Each day, I try to do one extra thing in the focus room like cleaning baseboards, light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc.  I have learned that for the most part, I don't usually have time to do the cleaning and blog about it. So I've been choosing to do the cleaning...:-)

Anyways, on to Frugal Five!
  1. Harvested lettuce from the garden--lots of lettuce! I planted these plants last December and they never really took off--until a month or so ago. And I was getting ready to pull them out! Glad I didn't! We've been eating fresh lettuce almost every day and it's time to cut some more!
  2. Stayed in my grocery budget for the month. I did most of my shopping at the beginning of the month and kept a small portion of the cash for fresh produce and odds and ends for the last two weeks. This seems to have worked well!
  3. My sister's family is preparing to for a move halfway across the country. She gave me some frozen fish and a meaty ham bone that she had frozen and probably won't be able to use before they go. I was glad to accept!
  4. Found some nice dress shoes(Sketchers)  for my husband-- $3 at the thrift store!
  5. Some bananas, milk and celery were getting close to their expiration dates. I took a  few minutes and chopped the celery and bananas to freeze(not together!!) and poured the milk into jars and froze them too. No waste! 
How have you saved money or lived frugally recently? 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I never would have thought to freeze milk. I love your frugal ideas!