Wednesday, May 05, 2010

Sourdough Starter and Waffles

 My sourdough starter with its little cotton hat. Seeing it reminds me of the characters from Josh and The Big Wall. :-)

My sister gave me some sourdough starter when we visited her last weekend.

I'd always been a little afraid of caring for a starter and keeping up with it but it's really not that hard at all. I just add a cup of flour and some filtered water every day. Then occasionally, add a teaspoon of sweetener. If I don't want to deal with it for a week, I can stow it in the fridge and just feed it once.

I decided to make sourdough waffles this morning. This recipe looked so good to me and it had very good reviews. 

The recipe was so easy to stir up and the waffles looked great; nice and crispy brown on the outside but not hard. Unfortunately, I'm doing a cleanse right now and staying off of grains so I couldn't sample them. I could hardly resist; they looked and smelled so good! My husband really enjoyed them and said the sourdough flavor was mild and not overwhelming. He's looking forward to more sourdough goodies!

Thanks to the starter, I'll be making sourdough baked goods every week!

No comments: