Sunday, February 25, 2007

Healthy Food- Whole Wheat Tortillas and Homemade Refried Beans

This past week I tried three brand-new recipes in one day! I wouldn't recommend this as a regular practice, as it can be just a tad bit stressful.:-) But one of the joys of being a homemaker and a stay-at-home-wife is being able to take the time to learn new skills and try new recipes.

I have been wanting to try my hand at making tortillas and since making the change to healthier eating, I don't feel as good about buying the cheap bags of regular white flour tortillas. The whole wheat varieties tend to cost a significant amount more money(I don't feel good about that either!!!), so I am coming out ahead by making my own. I know what is in these and I now have the joy of knowing how to make them myself! I used this recipe for whole wheat tortillas and found that other than taking a little time, tortillas are quite simple to make. It will take a little practice to get them exactly right and hopefully with time, the majority of the tortillas will be a nicer rounder shape! But they all had the homemade look, which is good. Because they are homemade.:-)
This picture looks rather gross.(When my husband was helping me upload these pictures, he kind of gasped and then asked "What is THIS?") These are the refried beans that I made. You will notice they are lighter colored than regular store-bought refried beans. I used Tammy's recipe for these and we liked them pretty well. They have a milder flavor than what I expected from reading the recipe. They were very good, though, and I liked that they were not heavy on butter or lard as the regular canned ones seem to be. These were really time-consuming, so next time, I'll double the recipe to make my efforts seem more worthwhile and then freeze the extras. Making your own refried beans is also less expensive than buying the canned variety.

My reason for making these two recipes was to try this recipe for Southwestern Chicken Roll-Ups. I had the ingredients to make these items but not the convenient, ready products. These were incredibly easy and cheap to make. And yummy, too! A friend came over for dinner and she really enjoyed these, too.

That's a little of what's been going on in my kitchen lately!

No comments: