Saturday, January 14, 2006

Quick Shopping and Bargains

I finally did it. I was in and out of Wal-Mart in less than 10 minutes. Sure, I only needed 3 items, well, 2 and ended up with 3, but it was also Saturday morning. So that counts for something, especially since a few minutes of that time was walking to and from our car which was parked in Outer Mongolia. My husband, who sat in the car because he hates shopping at Wal-Mart during busy times, was quite impressed.

My little impulse buy from this morning turned out to be a package of corndogs for my husband who sometimes craves food from his bachelor days. :-) This will be game food while he watches the Redskins and Seahawks play this afternoon. Go Redskins!

Since we all like to brag on our bargains from time to time, I thought I'd share my buys from this week. If you know me at all, you will know that I love Mary Engelbreit. I am thrilled that Michael's has been carrying a line of her cards and papers and such in their dollar section. I popped in the other day and they had the Mary Engelbreit Christmas cards for .30 a package so I got 40 cards for $1.50. I was pleased. I also found 2 large cans of sweet potatoes for .79 each(half-price). The only reason they were discounted was that the labels were a little torn. While I love a good deal, I think I save a lot more money by just not buying many items even if they are on sale. Just because it is cheap doesn't mean I need it. But if it is something I use anyways and will need in a reasonable amount of time, I go ahead and buy it.

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Well, I try to think ahead. I got deoderant last week...it will end up being 25 cents a stick after the rebate. It was on clearance, I had coupons and a rebate from CVS. If it is something I don't usually use, but would be a treat, I might get it if it is really cheap. Stocking up on the usual items is a good thing....I read a blog where the lady only buys cans and packages of things when they are on sale and she has a coupon. I thought that was pretty good. I saved almost 30 dollars last week if I count the rebates.
I got all my Mary Englebreit cards at Dollar General. I do love her art too.

Monica Wilkinson said...

I can't get past the idea that you got in and out of Wal-Mart in ten minutes! Great job!